I write this at the end of the 2015 Welsh Championships. This year, for the first time, the Championships were sponsored by "Chessmaze International" and we sincerely thank them for their continued help and support fo Welsh chess. The sponsorship allowed us to offer the £5 entry fee which I know was very attractive and much appreciated by many players. The sponsorship (and the reduced entry fee) also meant that the event attracted the lartgest entry for many years.
- The 2015 Welsh Championship was won by James Cobb with 6.5 points. 2nd Tom Brown, 3rd Jonathan Blackburn 4th Sven Zeidler.
- The 2015 Tom Weston Open/Major Championship was won jointly by Steve Christmas, Gareth Yeo (who also qualify for the British Championship) and Ernest Gibiec all finishing with 5.5 points. Grading Prizes: Simon Blackmore, Shayanna Sivarajasingam and Imogen Camp
- The 2015 John Bishop Memorial Championship was won by Mohamed Binesmael with 6.5 points. 2nd Richard Livermore, 3rd: Timothy Allen, Mark Emblem and Anlan Qiu. Grading Prize winner Michael McLoughlin
- The 2015 Welsh Ladies Championship was won by Lynda Roberts with 3.5 points.
- The 2015 Welsh Under 21 Championship was won jointly by Alex Bullen, Nicholas Evans and Ben Thomas with 3 points.
I congratulate the prize winners. The complete list is given in the table below.
Link to Photos
Finally I must thank John Thornton, Geoff Gammon and Ian Eustis for acting as arbiters at the Championships, and John for inputting the games. We also thank David Clayton for his work ensuring the games from the Championship are covered live on the web. We also thank the staff at the Park Inn Hotel for making us so welcome and being so helpful through the Championships.
The 2016 Championships will return to the Park Inn Hotel over the Easter weekend next year (25th - 28th March).