Many Welsh players are competing in events in the British Championships this week.
In the Under 10s, Wales is represented by Chirag Guha, Ifan Rathbone-Jones, Venetia Sivarajasingam and Susanna Fraser. Stephanie du Toit, Benjamin Choo Yin and Shayanna Sivarajasingam are competing in the Under 12s, and Imogen Camp is participating in the under 14s.
In the five-day morning events, the Welsh participants are Peter Richmond, David Sully, Alex Freeland, Roger Bennet, and David Buttell; and in the afternoon event Owen Bennett, David Buttell, Alex Freeland, Rhys Bennett and Julie Van Kemenade are taking part.
Round up for 23-27/07/2014
Over the last few days, a few of the Welsh players have had tremendous success at The British Championships.
One of the biggest highlights has come in the Under 9s, with Venetia Sivarajasingam winning the British Girls’ title. Her score of 5/7 in the two-day event that ran on Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 July gave her a share of third place in the overall standings.
Another win for Wales came in the Week 1 PM Open, with Rudy Van Kermenade sharing first place with a score of 4 out of 5.
Other notable results:
Tim Kett coming second in the Open Rapidplay
Rhys Bennett coming joint-third in the Week 1 PM Open with 3.5/5
Tom Thorpe coming joint-third in the U180 event, with a score of 3.5/5.
Anna Boyle securing second-placed girl in the U8s, with a score of 3.5/6
Aishwarya Lutchman Singh, joint-third-placed girl in the U11 with 4/7
Nicholas Evans placing joint sixth in the U16s, with 4/7
Alyssa Wang, playing in a higher age group, second-placed girl in the U16/15s with 3/7
Wales was very well represented in the Under 8s and Under 9s, with several players gaining valuable experience and picking up points: Hiya Ray, Kavin Govindaraj, Nye Bradfield, Nayana Kalavala, Ethan Chung and Neil Stevenson.
With the Under 11s and Under 13s starting today, the reports seem to be getting longer and longer! At the top of the Championship, David Howell lost to Simon Williams to be 1.5 points off the lead, with Jonathan Hawkins leading the way on 4/4.
The results from Round 4 of the British Championship were:
GM Mark Hebdon 1-0 Tim Kett
Thomas Brown 0-1 Joseph McPhillips
Lee Davis 0.5-0.5 FM Mike Waddington
Joe Fathallah 0.5-0.5 Steven Jones
Alan Brusey 0-1 Alex Bullen
Allan Pleasants 1-0 Theo Slade
Wales scoring a strong 3/6 in today's pairings.
The Round 5 pairings for the British Championship are:
13. Tim Kett - Jeremy Menadue
14. Alex Bullen - FM Charlie Storey
17. Robert Willmoth - Thomas Brown
20. Oskar Hackner - Lee Davis
21. FM Mike Waddington - Joe Fathallah
24. Roy Hughes - Allan Pleasants
From the morning events, Wales scored 5.5/11. A respectable score considering we had two all Wales pairings.
1.Gareth Morris 1-0 Craig Woolcock
9. Thomas Thorpe 1-0 Patrick Ribbands
23. David Gilbert 1-0 Allan Fisher
27. Karanvir Lutchman Singh 1-0 Jim Nicholson
28. Timothy Allan 1-0 Andrew Camp
29. Syringa Camp 0-1 Stanley Johnson
5. Richard Zhu 0.5-0.5 Nicholas Evans
8. Alyssa Wang 1-0 Jordan Lewis
10. Imogen Camp 0-1 Owen Bennett
For the Week 1 PM tournament, Wales scored 2/5
61. Guy Wagner 0.5-0.5 Greg Hughes
62. Rudy van Kemenade 0-1 Carl Gartside
64. Rhys Bennett 0-1 Meyrick Shaw
67. Jonathan Wells 0.5-0.5 Craig Woolcock
71. Julie van Kemenade 1-0 Anna Purvis
Also today was the start of the U13s and U11s. The results from the Welsh contingent from these sections in round 1 were:
33. Emily Wang 0-1 Mahima Raghavendra
44. Neya Govinderaj 1-0 Mercedes Hobkirk-Capps
46. Aishwarya Lutchman Singh 1-0 Gabriel Weaver